It can be hard to give an exact definition of stalking because stalkers will often use lots of different methods to harass their victims. Stalking can consist of any type of behaviour that causes the victim fear, harassment or anxiety. It could include anything from someone regularly sending flowers, sending unwanted or malicious texts, damaging your property and actual physical or sexual assault. If the unwanted behaviour is persistent then it is stalking and no-one should have to live with it.



If you suspect you are being targetted by a stalker and want advice or guidance contact the National Stalking Helpline on 0808 802 0300.


The National Stalking Advocacy Service provides advice and support for high risk victims of stalking through a network of Independent Stalking Advocacy Caseworkers (ISACs) and also campaigns to raise awareness of stalking and law reform.


The increase in popularity of social media and our reliance on the intranet makes cyber stalking a serious and potentially distressing issue - for advice about how to reduce the risks visit the intranet page.


You can also get advice and assistance obtaining an emergency injunction from the National Centre for Domestic Violence on 0844 8044 999. This NCDV service is free and user-friendly and after they have assessed your eligibility they can usually help you obtain an emergency injunction within 24 hours from when you first contact them.



What is the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS)?

Since March 2014 the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme or 'Clare's Law' has been giving members of the public a ‘right to ask’ Police where they have a concern that their partner may pose a risk to them or where they are concerned that the partner of a member of their family or a friend may pose a risk to that individual.

If an application is made under the scheme, Police and partner agencies will carry out checks and if they show that the partner has a record of abusive offences, or there is other information to indicate that there may be a risk from the partner, the Police will consider sharing this information.

To find out more about the scheme call the Police on 101 or go to Beds Police to find out more about the DVDS and other forms of protection.